Books

  • Anything by JM Coetzsee
  • Hans Christian Anderson
  • Major Pettigrews Last Stand
  • The world according to Garp

Monday 29 November 2010

The pupil

So many wonderful things have happened to me in the last couple of weeks. Our "Materials -Industrialisation" project got under way and I was very excited about my idea of knitting some copper wire and then pinning it to a bit of fabric . Two hand embroidery work shops helped me change my mind.

The first one was with Alison Willoughby ,an extremely wonderful and whole textile designer who came to teach us how to hand embroider and interpret lines from our drawings. She loved my photos of Brooklands Hotel and gave me some good advice on keeping all my sewing lines clean and strong.
She was a wonderful and open person and I do hope that I am able to work with her one day.

So after this workshop the knitted copper became bashed copper with copper pins and some crushed silk.My knowledge of this is growing as is my confidence. The second workshop was with my course tutor Grainne who showed us the use of colour with a colour wheel. We used Gouche which I have not used for a
while since my jours francaises. It helped me break out of this black process I have with seeing things , I am quite pleased to say.

A wonderful Lecture by Ray         on Bel Geddes, was relevant to my research on my project. His vision of the future and how he was always organised and meticulous was inspiring.
As was a trip to the Fitzswilliam museum in Cambridge. I waqs taken aback by the exactitude of the architecture among the weavving bicycles.
The grandiose columns of the museum welcome you and for reason, some of the greats are housed there. I could not choose which room to paint in but decided to FOCUS and settled for the pre raphaelites which we studied in Contextual studies this term.

I am now hurtling towards my deadline and as I assemble my work I am aware of how far I have come and how much I know I can change next term. The sacrifices I have made to do this degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment